Easter Pet Poisons

Easter Poisons

Easter Pet Poisons

There are many household and garden items that are poisonous to your pet. They are generally day to day items that you wouldn’t usually consider dangerous. Don’t let your pet be a victim!    

Chocolate – Usually a dog hazard, dogs tend to have a sweet tooth, a great nose, and the determination to find chocolate whether it’s hidden or not, but cats may eat chocolate too. The toxic components in chocolate are theobromine and caffeine. The level of toxicity is based on the type of chocolate and amount consumed.

E-Cigarettes – Since the popularity of these devices has increased, so have the cases of poisoned dogs. Chewing the cigarette or refill can cause life threatening nicotine poisoning, a rapidly acting toxin that needs immediate veterinary attention.

Lilies –  Easter lily plants or bouquets are very popular at this time of year. True lilies, such as Easter lily, Day lily, Stargazer lily and all Asiatic lilies, are highly toxic to cats, but far less of a concern to dogs. Lilies can cause acute kidney failure in cats.

Daffodils – These flowers contain lycorine which can cause vomiting. Ingestion of the daffodil’s bulb, plant or flower can cause vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, possible cardiac arrhythmia and even respiratory depression. 

Hot Cross Buns – Grapes, raisins, currants and sultanas are all toxic to dogs and it is believed the dried forms of these fruits are more toxic.

Garlic & Onions – When eaten in only moderate amounts or routinely, these foods actually cause problems with blood cells and anemia.

Mould – If your pet eats mouldy foods from bins, food found outside or eats from the compost heap. They are at risk of poisoning from mycotoxins. 

Xylitol – Xylitol is an artificial sweetener used in many sweets, chewing gums and baked goods, it’s potentially very toxic to dogs and ferrets. If eaten this may cause vomiting, loss of coordination, seizures, and even liver failure.

Human Medication – One for the highest causing of accidental poison is dogs eating their owners medication or owners giving their pet human medication to try and help them. Over the counter medications that are safe for us can kill your pet. So never risk it and always seek advice from your vet. 

Antifreeze – Most people use antifreeze when topping their car windscreen wash. The harmful substance in antifreeze is ethylene glycol. This is also found in other products such as radiator coolant, engine oils, break fluid, paints and solvents. As little as one tablespoon of antifreeze can cause kidney failure in dogs and a teaspoon can kill a cat. 

Rat poison – Rat poison stops the blood from clotting and causes a rat to bleed to death. Unfortunately the same symptoms can occur in animals that eat sufficient amounts. Their is an antidote to rat poison but your pet must be seen quickly for best chance of complete recovery.

Slug Bait – Be careful not to pet slug bait were it can be found by your pet, Slug bait is commonly found as pellets, liquid or powder and contains the toxic ingredient metaldehyde. It’s often sweetened which makes it attractive to our pets but is highly toxic to cats and dogs. 

Contact the surgery on 01267 238810 if you have any further questions or concerns. 





Leave a Reply